Monday, January 5

Mishap Betty

I have never made a doll of any kind before and I came across a photo of this BLACK APPLE DOLL online... and i thought to my self how hard could this be?? Well armed with only a picture I made my own pattern cut it out and put her together ... I will now say I officially eat my hat. It is really hard to put all the pieces together.

Her head is too short, her arms and legs are too skinny .. plus i gave my self not enough seam allowance. So her leg was not sewn on properly and promptly self amputated itself.... Sewing the head closed is not a pretty sight either!!
I have drawn up a new pattern (can be seen with mishap Betty as she is now officially known.) That i will give a go at tomorrow - will be keeping my toes crossed during the attempt as i need all my fingers to get her right!! If anyone had tip and/or suggestions give me please drop me a line ... or perhaps even a different doll to make for little ones!!!!

But on a much better note, we are FINALLY members of the DUC... Durban Undersea Club. Thanks to our Friends the Zeirvogels and the Radcliffs - THANKS GUYS!!

The club is situated on the beach in Durban at Vetch's Pier, between Ushaka Marine World and the northern harbour breakwater. The facilities at the club include the following : A large clubhouse with bar and kitchen facilities, clean ablutions, dining area, function facilities, a fully equipped dive locker with a 450lt/min air and nitrox compressor and 12 sets of SCUBA Equipment, a washing up area with rinse baths and showers for dive kit and boats, safe parking with controlled access and easy foot access to the beach from the sun tanning lawn area outside the clubhouse.

The beach in front of the clubhouse is protected from large waves and currents by the Vetch's pier breakwater, a +- 500m long submerged reef which, along with adjacent limestone reef, is home to hundreds of species of marine life and is a great snorkel and or shallow SCUBA dive (max 6m depth). The calm waters and protection from the Bluff makes the DUC beach one of the safest and best for beach goers with children.

The best thing according to Chris is that the beers are always cheap and cold!! BBQ's and charcoal are supplied every Sunday, so all you have to do is bring your meat and slap it on the grill!! We cannot wait to make it our home away from home .. it is about 15 - 20 min from our house so its not far at all!!!

this is the view from the grassed area ... on the far right is the clubhouse, the beach is directly in front and on the far left is Durban beach front.

Miguel loves it there, as they also have a Jungle Gym that he spends ages on. I have been teaching him how to body board over the last few days, and he is really getting the hang of it now, unfortunately i don't have any photos of him, as I am always in the water with him. But I will try to get some soon.


This is him setting off fearlessly, with out a backward glance to see if im coming ...

In the water with the Zeirvogels - Mike, Michelle and as Miguel calls him '5 year old Marc' - (don't forget that Miguel's younger cousin is called Marc too)

1 comment:

Lisa K. said...

Poor Betty! Looks like you gave it a good try!

Instructions are here at Martha Stewart's site. There's a link to template pieces just below the image!